Friday, November 13, 2009

Has Facebook.com put you back in contact with some people you would rather not associate with anymore?

I have encountered this.


This guy I used to drink and do alot of drugs with as a teenager has not changed in 10 years, but I have.


10 years ago I removed myself from the drug subculture in its entirety, and immersed myself into academics. This included removing myself from a lot of friends, because I could not successfully quit with them around.


10 years later, I have a PhD and teach in a university and am well published. After reconnecting with some of my old friends from the past (the former druggies included), I was pleased to find that a few of them had escaped the drug culture as well and made productive lives for themselves. However, as you might imagine, many have gone even deeper into drugs and crime and are essentially no more than bums.





I really do not wish to invite these people into my life now. That lifestyle is miles away into the past, and I do not wish to revisit it. As a result, it was necessary to tell one individual who was intent on meeting up with me, that I basically wanted nothing to do with him. It may have been harsh, but I really did see any other alternative.

Has Facebook.com put you back in contact with some people you would rather not associate with anymore?
A similar problem happened to me. Back when I was a teenager, alot of the crowd I hung out with was racist. I was not really racist, but I hung out with them because at that time I was an insecure person who just felt happy belonging somewhere. When I became an adult, I matured and realized the disgusting environment I was in.


Alot of these racist idiots are messaging me on facebook now after 7 years of not seeing them, and I just ignore them. I have even had to make my facebook info private to only friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment